Notion has quickly become one of the most versatile tools for task management, note-taking, and database organization. For those who frequently use databases in Notion, customizing it according to your requirements can be vital. One of the most frequently used columns in any Notion database is the "Title" column. While Notion allows users to customize this column to a great extent, there are certain limitations.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the process of changing the Title column in your Notion database. Whether you wish to rename it, alter its icon, or rearrange its position, we've got you covered.
How to Change the Title Column in Notion
1. Navigate to the Database You Want to Edit
Before making any changes, you need to open the specific database where you wish to modify the Title column.
- Start by opening your Notion workspace.
- Browse through your pages or use the search bar at the top to find the desired database.
- Once found, click on it to open.
2. Click on Your Title Column
Once inside the database:
- Locate the "Title" column. By default, it's usually the very first column on the left side of your database.
- Hover your mouse over the "Title" column header. You'll see a small arrow icon (pointing downwards) appear on the right side of the column name.
- Click on this arrow to open a dropdown menu.
3. Edit the Name, Icon, or Move the Title Column
From the dropdown menu, you have several options to customize the Title column:
- Rename: To change the name of the Title column, click on "Rename". A small text box will appear allowing you to type in the new name. Once done, press Enter or click anywhere outside the box to save.
- Change Icon: Next to the Title column's name (in the dropdown menu), you'll see a small icon (it might be a “T” representing text). Click on this icon, and a panel with various icons will pop up. Browse through and select your preferred icon for the Title column.
- Move: If you wish to rearrange the position of the Title column within the database, hover your mouse to the leftmost side of the column header (where the column name and icon are located). Your cursor will change to a hand icon. Click, hold, and drag the Title column to your desired position, then release.
Can you change the title column property in Notion?
While Notion offers flexibility in renaming, re-icoining, and moving the Title column, one key limitation exists: you cannot change the property type of the Title column. This means, regardless of your customizations, the Title column will always remain a text field. If you need a column with a different property type, consider adding a new column with the desired properties.